The old Bukit Timah Fire Station was the 4th station to be built in Singapore in 1956.
It's purpose then was to cover incidences occurring in the northern sector of Singapore.
It was located at the junction of Old Jurong Road and Upper Bukit Timah Road.
This fire station with its staff quarters was closed in 2005 when it was replaced by the new modern fire station at Bukit Batok Road.
Wisely, the authorities had decided that this old building was to be conserved and reused for other social and recreation purposes. Thus, in 2008 it was converted by a private consortium into a media and entertainment hub called Spectra. Unfortunately, this venture failed to take off.
In 2011, another company, the LHN Group, decided to try again and is currently in the midst of setting up the entreprise.
When Singapore was in negotiations with Malaysia over the return of the Tanjong Pagar KTM railway land, this plot and its surrounding land was initially offered to the Malaysian government as the new terminal station for the KTM railway line from Malaysia. However, it was rejected by the Malaysian government.
|Then and now. This was in 1964.|
|Taken from the same angle. Aug. 2012.|
To see more pictures of the old Bukit Timah Fire Station, please click here.