Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Photos from ex-residents (#23) - Gerald Cheah BK.

For many of us who grew up in Princess Elizabeth Estate, the primary school at Princess Elizabeth Drive was a big part of growing up there in our early school life.

Gerald Cheah Beng Kin moved with his family in 1955 and lived on the ground floor at Block 22 which was adjacent but nearer to the back of Princess Elizabeth Estate School. Spending his first six years of primary school there and leaving in 1960, he fondly recalls the Principal, Mr Ponnusamy, his scout master Mr Bernard Fernandez and his Science teacher Mr Nair.
Most memorable for him was his Geography teacher Mr Lim Mou Shen, who took his classmates all over the countryside in his car, especially to the mangrove swamps at Sungei Buloh where they would bring back root stumps to make handicraft like lamps stands and table legs.

Gerald was kind to send me photos to share on my blog in order that those who went to Princess Elizabeth Estate School would remember those days. Some of the photos below are not from his time at the school but were taken later after the demolition of the SIT estate.


The class of 1960. Gerald is second boy from the left.
They are beside the dreaded mobile dental van that visit schools.



Blk 3 of the HDB Hillview Estate.
The old S.I.T. Princess Elizabeth Estate was located in the green field beside the HDB block of flats.



The cleared land was where the old estate once stood.









8 comments:

  1. Hi, I lived at Elizabeth Drive (near the end, uphill) in the early 80's. I remember there used to be a bus terminal there (I think it was for bus no. 173). Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Unknown,
    Yes, you are correct. There was a bus terminus in front of Blk 21. Terminus for Green Bus #5, then later United Bus 173, which became SBS 173. And for a while there was also 193 that terminated there.
    There are more photos and articles about this bus terminal in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James. Thank you for this blog! I do follow your birding videos as I am a birder myself, but I did not realize you have this blog about Hillview. I have moved into Hillview area about 6 years ago. Love this place and still getting to know the area. During my school days, we used to hike around the area and Princess Elizabeth estate was always one of the checkpoints. Glad to chance upon this blog for more information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for visiting my blog too.
      Do drop me pm or email me so maybe we can touch base on birding around Hillview? (I have too many readers signing off as "unknown")

      Delete
    2. Hi. Thanks for you reply. I commented with my google account so I thought it might print my name. I will send you a friend request on FB if you don't mind.

      Delete
  4. There was a community centre within the estate. I remember attending kindergarten there for 1-2 years. There was also a hawker and wet market within the estate. There was a really good Yong Tau Foo stall that my mum used to bring me to eat. Anyone has similar memories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are more articles on the cimmunity centres and kindergarten in this blog.
      The yong tau foo stall is still being run by the same couple whose stall is now located at the Bukit Merah Food centre.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing the location of the yong tau foo stall!

      Delete