Saturday, August 17, 2013

Streams of Bukit Gombak

If you have read some of my previous posts, you'll know that I have often mentioned about the streams that flowed copiously through our former estate. These streams originate from springs located within the hillside of Bukit Gombak.

So fresh and clear was the waters that the ecological life within it flourished, much to the delight of the residents and children, Fishes like guppies and barbs, crabs, eels, frogs and who knows what other creatures, thrived in the clean spring water.

This morning, I was walking pass the other side of Bukit Gombak, near the Gombak MRT station, when I noticed a drain was pouring water constantly downhill.
Immediately, I realised that this was one of the many streams that used to flow from the hill.

After posting my initial mobile phone video, I went back to do a proper shot later to show the spring flowing down the now concretised stream. The drain is actually an overflow spillway from the Seng Chew Quarry Lake.



The Seng Chew lake spillway.

I recalled that about 20 years ago, before they built the HDB flats and the MRT beside this stream, car owners, including myself, would drive to the roadside beside this stream to use the clean water to wash our cars.

You can see that Bukit Gombak still contains a lot of spring water that today continues to flow from the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment